Habitat ReStore Donations
Donate to ReStore
Donations are the core of a successful ReStore. Our partner families, our community, and the environment benefit from reuse, repurpose and recycling efforts. Because of your donations, we are able to offer goods at affordable prices to the community. We welcome all offers of new or very gently-used items. We ask that all items be in excellent condition, 100% operable and thoroughly cleaned. Please review our donation guidelines below before you donate. Schenectady Habitat ReStore reserves the right to refuse unsuitable donations.
- Donation Drop Offs: Donations may be dropped off at our ReStore located at 115 North Broadway, Tue-Fri 10am – 3pm or Saturdays 10am-2:30pm BY APPOINTMENT ONLY AND WITH PRIOR APPROVAL FROM RESTORE STAFF. If you have large or heavy items, please bring extra help when possible.
- Donation Pick-Ups: We may be able to pick up your items for a small fee. To schedule pick-up of oversized items, call us at 518-395-3412 ext. 101 or email your full name, address, contact phone number, and photos of the items you wish to donate to: email@example.com
- As of July 1, 2022, a one time donation fee of $20 must be paid when confirming your scheduled pickup. This can be done over the phone through our point of sale system or via a secure link provided through email. This fee helps us cover operational costs of donation pick-ups such as truck maintenance and gas, so that we can direct the proceeds from your donated item(s) directly toward fulfilling our mission.
- Please be advised that our volunteers are no longer entering homes, so anything that we pick up must be placed outside the residence – preferably in a garage or on a porch, or out in the driveway/curbside on the pick-up date. We do make exceptions, to be determined by the ReStore managers, on a case by case basis.
- If you would like to know what time to expect the truck on your scheduled date, you may call us the morning of your pickup after 9am and we will provide you with a 1-2 hour time frame of when the truck should arrive.
ReStore Donation Guidelines
Through your donations, the ReStore provides new and gently used furniture, artwork, home improvement materials, appliances, and more at affordable prices.
Items We Accept
Please note that all donations are subject to approval by our staff at the point of drop off or pick-up. Thank you for understanding.
- Appliances 10 years old or newer, clean and in good working order
- Cabinets & Countertops Solid wood fronts with all drawers, doors and shelves
- Doors Except shower & hollow core without jamb
- Flooring Unused (minimum 100 sq ft) linoleum or tile, wood or laminate flooring
- Furniture Item must be free of any stains, tears, fading/discoloration, lumpy cushions, pet damage/stains/odors/hair, signs of wear, smoke odors
- Hardware New in original packages – all types (please no used goods)
- Housewares Vases and other small knick knacks
- HVAC Bathroom fans and vents
- Lawn & Garden Tools, fencing, outdoor furniture (no rust or torn seating/cushions)
- Lighting and Electrical Light fixtures, new electrical supplies
- Lumber 5 ft or longer, no nails or screws
- Sinks & Fixtures New or gently used Bathroom vanities, sinks must be white or almond
- Roofing Asphalt, wood metal, tar paper (Minimum 100 sq ft)
- Tools & Equipment In good working order with all parts. Cordless tools must have battery and charger
- Windows Double-pane vinyl (no wood!) undamaged, unfogged in working order
Please note that the the list of accepted items is subject to change. Always contact the ReStore for approval.
Donations to Avoid
Please see our list below. Items and trash that do not meet our criteria or that are left outside cost us money for proper disposal. Those costs divert money from our primary mission of helping low-income families in our community.
Items We Cannot Accept
- Appliances that do not comply with Federal Law
- Mattresses and Box Springs, Sleeper Sofas, Futons
- Bed Frames
- China Cabinets/Hutches (unless part of a matching dining room set)
- Infant/Toddler Items Cribs, strollers, car seats, etc.
- Toys or Stuffed Animals
- Computers, Monitors, Printers and other computer equipment
- Exercise Equipment or Sports Equipment Such as helmets, knee/elbow pads, downhill skis, snowboards, ski boots
- Window Treatments
- Inflatable Items Such as pools, air mattresses, etc.
- Broken, Torn or Soiled Items Upholstered furniture, etc.
- Ceiling Fans unless new in the box
- Plumbing fixtures (except new) showers, surrounds, tubs, handrails, grab bars
If there’s something we do not accept but you still want to support Schenectady Habitat, try selling items on online platforms, like Facebook Marketplace, and donate some of your sales to Habitat for Humanity of Schenectady County.